A Message from
Joel Illouz, CDM, CFPP
Director of Food Service
Phone: 821-0559, Monday-Friday, 7:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m
It’s an exciting time for the Agawam School Lunch Program! I want to take this opportunity to thank all each and every one of you that has reached out and offered suggestions to the program. I firmly believe that with the level of involvement from our community, we will continue to improve the entire program. The 2017/2018 school year is upon us, and I would like to say that this year is going to be even better than the last.
Our breakfast initiative has truly seen a lot of growth. We now serve a nutritional hot or cold breakfast in ALL of our schools. That means that our children will be able to choose from a variety of wholesome foods when they arrive at school. Studies have found that this improves the learning ability in children and keeps them focused until lunchtime.
One of my goals again this year is to incorporate more locally sourced food into the program. I will be working with local farms and dairies to initiate this goal. I believe that by years end, at least 5% of our purchasing power will be spent on locally sourced items. This is a win for not only our students, but also the local farmers in our area.
We will also continue to reduce our carbon footprint. Reusable trays have been introduced in some of our schools and will continue to be implemented this coming year. We are also sourcing compostable paper goods to be introduced and working diligently with the DPW to implement a compost program at the Jr. High School.
In Agawam, my staff and I will continue to try to improve the entire program each and every day. We will do this by listening to suggestions and trying new things. We are always open for suggestions, so please encourage your children to let us know what they think.
Our department sells approximately 2,800 student lunches per day. It is my responsibility to keep lunch prices as affordable as possible for the students and parents/guardians of Agawam especially during tough economic times.
· Menus are posted monthly at www.agawamed.org 1) click on your school 2) click on lunch menu 3) click on the month. Please note: Menus will be distributed in the month of September “only” to Elementary and Middle Schools students. We also post the menus locally and if a student needs a copy, please request it with a Cafeteria staff member.
· Lunch prices are $2.70 per lunch at the Elementary and Middle Schools ($13.50 per week) and $ 2.95 per lunch at the Junior High and Senior High Schools ($14.75 per week).
· Ala carte milk cost $.40 cents per carton grades (K-8) and $.50 cents per container grades (9-12).
· Kindergarten snacks cost $.75 cents per day, $3.75 per week.
· The School Lunch Department offers fresh baked, reduced fat, Otis Spunkmeyer Cookie Trays (K – 4) delivered to your child’s class for their birthday or any other Special Event. Please contact your school for more information.
Methods of Payment:
· All schools will be using the (POS) “Point of Sale System” on the first day of school. If you have not created an account, please do so. Go to www.myschoolaccount.com and you can assign your students to the account. You will be able to load money as well as track their purchases. (There is a $2.00 fee per transaction)
· You can send in money (Cash or Check) with the student and the cashier will be able to post payments for you.
Bounced Check Fees: The Town of Agawam will impose a $25.00 fee on any checks returned due to insufficient funds.
Allergies: Parents/guardians must notify the school nurse regarding their child’s food allergies. Any special request in the preparation of a child’s food should be mentioned to the cafeteria manager at that specific school. Again, this is an extremely important issue that must be addressed for safety precautions.
The Agawam School Lunch Department is committed to planning, preparing, and serving nutritious and exciting meals that meet the guidelines set by the Department of Education - Nutrition Programs Service. We offer a number of alternate choices for the students and look forward to serving your child. Please take advantage of this excellent program! If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call me at 821-0559, Monday-Friday, 7:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
Joel S. Illouz
Food Service Director